The old Irish phrase is, “I stand on your ground when my feet are sore.” As coaches, how do we offer a ground for the client to find safety, comfort, nurturance, integrity, and strenght as they excavate truths from their deeper parts?
I list below some of the best practices I developed as a master mentor coach over the years, and my clients and students found them to be quite supportive :
- Establish three distinctive energetic spaces: Yours, the client’s, and the space in between, the Sacred Space. As you start coaching conversation, ensure your area does not overlap with the clients or the Sacred Space.
- Continuously practice mindful awareness and self-reflection as part of your growth. More aware, the more awake you are, the less likely you will offer your debris into the coaching conversation or to the Sacred Space.
- Admire your client’s offerings during the coaching conversations as if you are admiring an art piece.
- Release your needs to have an opinion about the client offerings. The only person gets to have judgment about their offerings is the client.
- Understand your needs and consciously work to fulfill them outside of your coaching sessions. Remember, your coaching gets to be influenced by your unfulfilled needs in your sessions.
- Understand and embody the true meaning of compassion. Authentic compassion is one’s ability to stand still by someone in pain without needing to change anything as they move through their transformation at their time frame.
- Develop authentic self-compassion for you. We are unable to offer others what we don’t have for ourselves.
- The origin of the word “prayer” means “to ask.” Treat every inquiry you are offering to the client with the same degree of reverence.
- In silence, we hear the answers to our prayers. Honor the silence.
- Reverence is contagious, and so are humor, compassion, and love. The more you can sense and experience them yourself, the more you get to offer them to the sacred space.
May all your conversations be as sacred as you are!
With loving kindness,
Tijen Genco, MS, MCC, NBC-HWC, MBB, E-RTY200